Thurston County Commissioners Will Hold Dec. 11 Hearing on Comprehensive Plan Changes
The hearing will be on Tuesday, December 11 at 5:30 p.m. in Room 152 of County Courthouse Building 1. The Thurston County Courthouse Complex is at 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW in Olympia. Those needing special accommodations to participate in this meeting can call (360) 786-5489 and ask for the ADA Coordinator. Citizens with hearing impairments can call the TDD line at (360) 754-2933.
Written comments on the proposed Comprehensive Plan amendments will also be accepted until 4 p.m. on December 11.
Attention: Jeremy Davis
Thurston County Planning Department
2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW
Olympia, WA 98502-6045
More information on the proposed Comprehensive Plan amendments is available in hard copy in the Thurston County Permit Assistance Center or online at www.thurstonplanning.org.
Proposed Comprehensive Plan amendments:
- The French Loop/Road and Butler Cove study areaincludes 376 acres generally located in the northwest corner of the Olympia UGA. Properties in the French Loop/Road and Butler Cove study area may be removed from the Urban Growth Area and reclassified, and or reclassified to a lower intensity land use designation/zoning district. These include but are not limited to Residential 4 Units per Acre, Residential Low Impact 2-4 Units per Acre, Residential 1/5, Rural Residential/Resource One Unit per Five Acres, and Residential LAMIRD 1/1 or 1/2. The property is south of the northern Olympia UGA Boundary at approximately 135 ft. north of the intersection of Cooper Pt. Rd. NW and 33rd Ln. NW, along French Road NW, and Butler Creek; east of Cooper Pt. Rd NW.; north of 28th Ave NW; north of 26th Ave. NW; and west of Budd Inlet. A portion of the study area lies within 300 ft. west of Cooper Pt. Rd. NW, north of 28th Ave. NW to the UGA boundary approximately 135 feet north of 33rd Ln. NW.
- The Chambers South Olympia study areaincludes 76 acres generally located south of Wiggins Rd. SE and 40th Ave. SE. In the Chambers/South Olympia study area, properties may be reclassified to a lower intensity land use designation/zoning district. These include but are not limited to Residential 4 Units per Acre, Residential Low Impact 2-4 Units per Acre, Residential One Unit per Five Acres, or including the Residential 4 Units per Acre - Chambers Basin zone from the City of Olympia Zoning Ordinance in the Thurston County Code, and applying it to the study area.
- Health and Human Services Chapter:This proposal involves adding a health and human services chapter to the Thurston County Comprehensive Plan which includes health goals and policies for the first time. The chapter reflects Board of Health and Department priorities, consistent with public health evidence, to make a difference in the health of Thurston County’s population.
- Park and Recreation Element:A proposed amendment to the Thurston County Comprehensive Plan to add a parks element. The proposed amendment outlines the visions and values developed by the Parks Advisory Board (PAB) during special work sessions and from citizen input in four public workshops regarding the proposed Parks and Recreation Plan. The goals and policies were also developed through work sessions held by the PAB.
- Long Term Agriculture Reconsideration: Property owners whose Comprehensive Plan land use designation and zoning changed to Long Term Agriculture in December 2008 were able to submit soils information to the County to request reconsideration. There were four requests including the Schader Crown Ranch, Petra Lewin, Weyerhaeuser 1, and Weyerhaeuser 2.