Call for Nominations -- Shelton School District Program for Highly Capable Students
The Shelton School District will be offering a full-time, blended-age program for highly capable fourth and fifth grade students during the 2013-2014 school year. The program will be housed at Evergreen Elementary.
Students in the program will receive challenging instruction at or above grade level in reading/writing, mathematics, science, and social studies. They will also receive instruction in music, art, library, and physical education from qualified specialists. Students currently identified for the fourth grade hi-cap program will be eligible to attend as fifth graders next year.
Students in third or fourth grade may be nominated for participation next year.
Nominations for the 2013-2014 Shelton School District Program for Highly Capable Students Will Be Accepted March 11th – 28th, 2013
We are seeking students who often exhibit some or all of these characteristics:
• Work at academic levels substantially above those of his or her peers
• Can do highly complex tasks
• Show originality by using new and unusual approaches to problem-solving
• Show interest and curiosity about many topics
• Can anticipate outcomes/results of experiments or stories
• Learn new things quickly and easily
• Remember facts and knowledge and apply them to new situations
• Use unusually advanced vocabulary
To nominate a child, please call to request a nomination form from the child’s school:
Bordeaux 426-3253 Evergreen 426-8281 Mountain View 426-8564
Nominated students will be tested in April. Students will be notified by the end of school if they meet the following criteria for selection to the program:
• Score in the top 5% in Reading and/or Math
• Score in the top 10% of a cognitive ability test
• Show exceptional creativity
Questions about the program? Contact the Hi Cap Program Teacher: